Saturday, March 19, 2011

Having Ovaries Does Not Make You My Sister...Or Classy

Once told that I am a feminist many stop seeing me as an individual, but instead as a part of a stereotyped group. Part of that stereotype is assuming I am a man hater, or anti-relationship, or.. well basically any "anti" there is. The idea that feminists hate men is laughable. Personally, there are a lot of women I would rather spend my time hating than men.
All women don't think similarly. Thus is the greatness of being an American. However, I stumbled upon one quote while reading "Full Frontal Feminism" by Jessica Valenti. In response to an article, one woman writes:

"I'll call myself a feminist when the fat, mannish dykes who do run around calling themselves 'feminist' very loudly ... Ovaries only make you female, they do not make you a woman, and I am a woman. In other words, I will call myself a feminist when those manabees are as proud of and joyful in their womanhood as I am in mine ... Until then, fuck off and take your hairy legs with you." *

Personally, my favorite part was the use of the word 'manabee', and that she thinks feminists arent proud to be women. Again, all women are not the same. But I do have to say that I have not met one feminist who is not proud to be a woman. In fact... I feel like that might be one of the basic requirements.

Food for thought - are we really the ones that are "anti" everything?

*Post in response to Rebecca Traister's "The F-Word." Found online at: www.sabreean.com/?p=10
As read in Velenti's "Full Frontal Feminism"

No comments:

Post a Comment